Friday, December 18, 2009

The Postman Always Rings Twice

I didn't think I liked Lana Turner until I saw this film. She was incredible in the film, and the direction, acting, lighting, storyline--everything worked beautifully. It is one film noir that I can watch over and over again. John Garfield is a sexy lout--very well matched with Lana's particular brand of incendiary blonde. And of course the inimitable Audrey Totter gives a memorable cameo performance in the film. Highly recommend the book Dark City Dames for a portrait of the real Audrey. I loved Cecil Kellaway's creepy portrayal of the husband, especially when he was singing and playing guitar--or was it a ukelele? Hume Cronyn was a young, snarky lawyer in this film. Great scenes with the car on curvy California roads--and I loved the opening scene at the gas station. Kinda the same feeling as the opening scene of Out of the Past.

No comments: